Monday, December 16, 2013

A Delusional Wolf Story (No joke)


Wolves or no wolves, Cantwell couple survives dramatic ordeal


Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013

FAIRBANKS – When the “wolves” showed up, the only thing left burning on the snowmachine that she had lit on fire to keep from freezing to death was the plastic windshield, Vivian Mayo said. “All of a sudden, Elvis started getting barky and agitated,” Mayo said of her dog, a small, black-and-white Jack Russell terrier that was her only company for the better part of three days while she awaited rescue.

 
It was dusk, and the 57-year-old Mayo, who was enduring her third night out in the cold alone after her snowmachine broke down in a remote spot off the Denali Highway, saw what she initially thought were caribou approaching.

 Whatever it was, Elvis didn’t like it, Mayo said. The frightened little dog turned tail and took refuge in a burned-out hole nearby that was left after Mayo had burned some belongings in an earlier attempt to keep warm.

That’s when Mayo realized what she was looking at weren’t caribou. “ I said, ‘Oh my God, those are wolves,’” she said, adding she heard them making a “bird chirping sound. I could hear them all around me,” Mayo said. “I could see some of them.”

Whether the “wolves” were real or imagined, the product of hallucinations caused by hypothermia or sleep deprivation, is up for debate, but to Mayo, they couldn’t have been more real. “I was there; they weren’t,” Vivian Mayo said on Friday, two days after she was found by rescuers. “I went through it; they didn’t. That trooper was not sitting there with me,” she said. “That wolf pack was all around me, waiting to attack me.”

**Okay, okay. If you really want to read this story (and it gets pretty good where the wolves are concerned) then go HERE. I'm sorry that these folks had to endure what they did, but stories like these only serve to further sensationalize wolves in the media.**

No comments:

Post a Comment